As humans, we like looking at interactive visuals. Did you know, we have a higher retention rate to visuals as opposed to text……yet we depend on words to give out information, follow up on emails, give directions, etc…..just about every action we do today depends on words! Shocking but true!
- Icons Using icons is a fun tool to help make boring info more visual. They are simple, yet memorable. Keep in mind your icons need to be consistent and colorful. Consistency is key when creating a visual brand identity for yourself. Try using sites like iconfinder that can help you find easy icons for your site without having to create new ones.
- Infographics Infographics in general is a great tool to help communicate boring everyday stats in a fun yet visually appealing manner. It is the perfect marriage for delivering information and graphics. Infographics is a simple tool that is clear, compelling and accurate. So the next time you want to show a few important statistics or data why not use infographics try content creation tools like visme and canva that can not only be used for infographics but for adverts, posters, instagram and many more…
- Videos A good video has the power to move an audience in a matter of minutes. The right combination of storytelling, imagery, and music can make even the most skeptical audience member a believer.
- It saves time, research shows that the brain processes images 60,000 times faster than texts since it is easier to process visual signals faster than to read a sentence.
- There is clarity of information for instance you’d rather read a book of a movie because of the graphics used on the cover or the trailer you saw. Similarly, customers fall in love with products and services depending on how they are advertised through images and graphics.
- Visuals help to achieve consistency; how? by using same colors of the original product or company to advertise. We always remember popular logos and colors while associating them to their brand image; like Mcdonalds, Adidas and so on.
- You retain information better; since the human brain processes information in the form of images faster, an individual is able to retain visual information longer. People have the tendency of easily forgetting what they hear or read but are able to retain images for long periods of time. This is because images are stored in our long-term memory, while words get stored in the short term memory part of our brain.
- It is simple; even illiterate people can understand visuals hence, making it an effective communication method for all. The simplicity of visuals is why it is easy for people to understand the information. For instance we are able to retain important road and public signs because they are simple, important and clear
- Visuals are flexible, effective and popular; verbal communication might limit us in many ways; language barriers, terminologies, differences in cultures and so on. Images on the other hand are more flexible and universal making it the most effective tool to gain information from. Since we’re constantly bombarded with content 24×7; images are the best way to help you remember rather than words. With everyone needing quick gratification; seeing images, GIFs and watching graphic videos have more appeal than reading. For instance; If you run an ad for a business, it is easier to get the attention of potential customers if you use visuals, images, GIFs in your advertising campaign.